Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 19, 2013

I can take a hint...we won't be friends

Can't believe I've been in Baltimore for three years.  Time really goes by fast when your with kids all day.  One struggle I seem to face with being a stay at home mom is making friends.  Meeting other moms with children. I often think about how much fun it would be to have play dates or lunch dates. Call and say, "what are you guys doing today."  Just being able to share a laugh, whine to, or drink some wine ;) would be lovely.

Wish I could say, "it's me not them."  But so far, it's the women I've met.  They don't like me.  Truth is I'm not always the friendliest person. (shocker, I know)  However, since I've left CA, I've been forced to step out of my comfort zone.  Signed up for meet-up groups where I walked into homes of complete strangers.  Joined Stroller Strides for two years. I spent three mornings a week walking around an outlet mall pretending I was really working out.  While, trying to make small talk with woman that could care less.  Attended a few play group events and mom's night out (sorry, but Olive Garden should never be a MNO option) just saying.  I finally realized I was never going to fit in.

When we moved to our now home in February, I had hope for new friendships.  One evening Alex mentioned he saw a mother and her little boy down the hall from us.  He adventually convinced me to introduce myself (again, out of my comfort zone).  The introduction went well, so I thought.  Her son was 2 1/2, she was home all day, and she didn't know a lot of moms in the area.  Perfect, right?  Wrong.  Ever since that first introduction I only receive a small grins from her.  The couple of times I've seen her outside I did ask about going to a children's museum or another kid activity.  Never, did she say "oh, we should meet, or get together."

I started to realize we were never going to be BFF's when I ran into her at the train museum story time. Not exactly a happening place, unless your a member.  Happy to say, I'am.  On our first visit I brought my MIL with me. Always nice to have help at story time with two kids.  Stuff can get pretty crazy up  in there.  I spotted her ahead of us at check in and part of me felt a glimmer of hope.  The hope for future train meet-ups.  I quickly turned on my (I really care voice) and said, "look girls it's Charlie, hi."

Her response, a head turn in my direction with a grin.  Seriously?  Do I not live four doors down from you lady?  Since that day there have been a few other head nod moments.  Times when I'm running outside, walking into the building, or just out an about.  However, her husband has no problem saying "hi Adaline", anytime I see him.  My husband likes to say, "oh, did you see your boyfriend again." Hey, I can't help it if someone is polite.

Maybe one day I'll get annoyed enough to say, "hey what's up with your wife?"  Why doesn't she like me?

However, the final straw has been drawn.  I took my youngest to a play gym class outside of the city.  Guess who walks in before us?  Yes, my nice neighbor. Once again I received a head nod after saying hello.  Went through the entire class without saying a word to each other.  I even tried to shove my kid into hers for some interaction.  Nothing.

I may sound whiny about this but it bothers me.  Sure, there are more things I could try.  More excuses I can make for her but it's time for me to say, "what-eva's."  My small cool chic's and I are taking our ball and going home (or down the hall).  Your loss lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment