Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Finished the full race.

Here is my recap of the uphill and downhill climb.  Did my best to break it all down for you.


  1.  Felt good at the starting line even if I didn't make it to the restroom one last time.
  2. The race begins I'm great for two minutes, then I trip. Yes, I did it, fell again. Luckily it was not serious (skinned knee) but I thought I would get trampled if I didn't get up fast.
  3. I did a good job staying with my pace group. (3:55) Then I passed them after the hill on mile six Yay!
  4. Saw my husband cheering on the side at mile eight. Early enough I was able to smile and wave for the camera.
  5.  Mile 10-12 rain started. Thought,  "oh, they'll have to stop the race". No luck. Rocky theme song "Eye of the tiger", was playing as we turned a corner. Now I feel like a real runner.
  6. My husband is cheering me on again at mile 13. Half Marathon done with a good time of 1:53. Only 13 more miles to go.
  7. Mile 14 we run by our building and I see my little ladies with in-laws. So cute, I gave them high fives an hear them say "go mommy".
  8. Thinking I might live through this thing after all. Grabbed a bag of chips and banana that were handed out. Then up a hill to mile 16. Band was playing "Sweet home Alabama" as half marathoners were merged in.
  9.  Legs are starting to feel heavy and I decide to walk, and focus, again. A man running the half offers me a Motrin, then asks if I want to split it. " umm, no". What am I back in my club days being offered some party pill. No thank you! I pick up my feet and start moving.
  10. Close to mile 18 the worst happened. Up another hill and my left knee felt as if it was going to collapse under me. I was screaming in my head. " No,please!"  Then pacing group (3:55) passes me. I might as well toss in the towel now. There goes my good time. Bye Bye. Mile 20, and 21 were tough. I wanted to cry and just stop altogether. My knee was hurting. I stood on the side for a second, looked at my phone and saw the battery was dead. A nice police officer asked if I was ok and if I needed water. Wow, people are nice to me.
  11. My feet and knees are moving again up another incline and I'm just focused on breathing. Five more miles I can do this. Wish I had the strength to fix my time but couldn't do it.
  12. On mile 24 the downhill begins. Going down hill would be great if it wasn't so painful. Uphill is so much easier at this point. I'm now thinking, "where the 'blank' is mile 25 already, come on!"
  13. Spectators on the road are the best. Cheering everyone on, saying "almost done" and "you got this". Some people were even handing out cups of beer.  I begin thinking, "Wow, I just ran a marathon". Crazy! Got a bit teary-eyed.
  14. There it is, the finish line.  I can see the balloons. The crowd is getting louder. If only I could sprint pass the 70 year old man who looks like he may fall over, I would feel so much better.  I see the clock and I'm thinking "please don't start with a four ". But it did and this race is finished. 4:04 time.
  15. There is my very supportive husband waving to me an saying "You did it!"  My happiness and exhaustion are mixed together. Please give me my medal, free food, and get out of my way. I want to sit, now!

Funny, I use to wonder what people thought about while running for four hours. Now I know. You just think about the mile ahead, pray for strength and hope all the people you passed don't pass you.

Till we meet again Mr Marathon. Believe me, we will. It's on. You might be 26.2 miles of struggle, but I'm a mom of two little girls under age four. You can't break me. I'm now a Marathoner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment