Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New developments or lack of

Thinking about my infant’s developments is driving me crazy! As a mom you can’t escape thinking about, reading about, and comparing your child’s developments to other children. Did I sign up for this event in the delivery room when my non- medicated head was spinning around during contractions? Was I told to sign next to the X? Because I’am now a member of the Compare Your Child Forever Team? Great, another thing no one told me about and I never got a t-shirt.


Every week I open some dumb email, telling me “your baby is now BLANK months, and BLANK weeks old, now they’re probably doing such & such”. I, the stupid mom continue to click on the link and read. I read all about what my baby should be doing; what they should be eating, what they should be holding, why they are fussy, how they should be sleeping, how they should be napping, how they should be crawling, should be standing, should try to walk, should try to talk, should this, should that, and what should be next.


Look I have no future plans to try out for a GREAT MOM award. I’m an average mom, just trying to get by with the simple steps. My 10 month old, eats three meals a day from a jar, drinks formula from her bottle, takes two good naps & one cat nap, goes potty in her diaper, hates being on her tummy, puts most objects in her mouth (to make sure they are real), loves her jumpy, loves her baby rave music, thinks bath time is funny, likes to eat her own feet, and sleeps straight from 7:30pm to 6:30am. She’s a baby and not making some scientific discovery.


We are working one holding and drinking from a cup. Has a little trouble tilting it up. Takes after her mother, when her cup is empty she tosses it on the floor. I do the same with my wine glass. If one more person asks, “is she crawling yet”? I will scream, “NO, SHE IS NOT”! Yes, I know she will soon. I don’t bother trying to explain or tell them her excuse. She is a bit behind because she could not have use of her arms till she was 5 months old. I should tell them, “not yet but she knows all her nursery rhymes, can choreograph her own dance routine in the jumper, and knows all the words to GOODNIGHT MOON.


I have not even made it a full year, this is going to be a long game.

2 comments:

  1. HA HA HA! Amen. Those developmental emails drive me a litle crazy. They just send you into a panic when you find out what your kid SHOULD be doing. You think everything's fine and dandy, when you're like...what? She should be doing WHAT? I had no idea!

    Awesome job though on the cup! Marley is 2 and she still drinks from a bottle in the mornings. Why? Because she likes it! So there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are some crazy mothers out there! Take it from someone who didn't breast feed and who's son has a speech delay! I hear the same thing!

    "WHAT? Little Billy already can say his ABC's"
    "What? Sally can recite the Gettysburg address"

    Sounds like you and Alex are doing a wonderful job and your baby is surrounded by people who love her! Take it from me, an "unexpected" mom, some of those mom groups are just crazy. Just pluck a few women out you like and hang out with them!

    And welcome to Maryland!

    Mindy
    (Graduated High School with Alex)

    ReplyDelete